10 ways to live more eco-friendly in 2010
It's that time of the year again and I want to take the time to Thank You all for visiting, reading and participating in my blog, I truly enjoy being part of the green movement; it really means a great deal. This is our time to educate each other and make changes for the better. I want to wish you all a very healthy and fulfilling New Year!! I look forward to sharing new amazing posts and learning from you as well. Remember to always keep it green and natural in your lives!
Going Green is a great way to start off the New Year. So lets jump start on 10 great ways to green your life in 2010:
1. One of the best things you can do this year is to start by getting rid of paper and plastic bags from your life. Try to always carry at least one reusable bag with you and it will soon be as routine as grabbing your keys when you leave your house. Reusable bags can be a very stylish item as well! Here is a great list of fashionable and reusable shopping bags.
2. Why not switch your monthly bills to e-billing? Even if you print them out at home, you'll eliminate both the postage and envelope carbon footprint.
3. Did you know each person creates about 4.7 pounds of waste every single day? Before you throw anything away, read these latest facts about recycling and ask yourself if you can use it in a new way or if someone else could use it, thereby getting into the habit of recycling and reusing anything and everything you can.
4. Start composting at home, it's not only simple to do, but you'll get free fertilizer as a result. Here are some great ideas from a complete home composting guide.
5. If you're replacing appliances in 2010, pay a little more for the most efficient energy star models, you'll save more money in the long run.
6. A very cool idea to save water is to build a simple rain barrel in your back yard, to get free water for your garden and indoor plants. Here is a terrific video on how to build a rain barrel.
7. When it comes to transportation, walk more, particularly if your destination is less than 30 minutes on foot. It's good for your health and the environment. But if you're in the market for a new car? Choose a green hybrid or an electric model. Check out the top hybrid cars of 2009 and 2010.
8. There's also greening your food intake. Try going vegetarian one day a week since the livestock industry is a huge greenhouse gas emitter. Did you know that the number one impact on the environment is milk production? Read more on this New York Times article.
9. What about eating organic? It's a lot better for your health and the planet. If you are on a budget you can even begin growing your own fruits, veggies, and herbs. Here are some great ideas on how to eat organic on a budget.
10. Last but not least, where fashion and beauty are concerned, try switching to all-natural cosmetics and shop at secondhand and charity shops before hitting the malls. Take it from me, I shop at second-hand and vintage store all the time, you can usually seek out some unique finds! Here some great ideas on greening your closet.
These are some of many ways to going green in 2010. Being green is a life-changing challenge but if you commit to just making small changes everyday, it will be worth it for you and our beautiful planet!